Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    So I'm at the point where I need to stop faffing about and make a go of this academic thing.  I've been thinking about what I can realistically achieve in the coming years and am trying to separate dream from reality, be it game dev, academia or becoming reclusive genius author who writes awkward Rushdie-esque sex scenes.

I need to learn how the fuck academia really works and find my niche now that I'm moving past being a lowly student.  I also need to reinvigorate my art and programming skills so I can give game dev a serious shake with the Crab by my side.  Ultimately I envisage an in-house student-driven game dev studio that straddles the line between commercial and educational.  This is not new, but we don't have one so I'm trying to build it with me at the helm (as a hands-on guide rather than taskmaster).  Here's hoping I don't run aground errrr metaphor

Anywhar, consider this an analogue to the work thread in which you project into THE FUTURE about what you want to do and how you're gonna do it.  Hopes and dreams and a plan.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I hope to win the lotto.

My plan is to buy a winning lotto ticket.

I will then retire and play golf.
  • I think you mean Piepdrems.

You missed Skerrite as well.

But it's okay because Skizza was doing the typo for irony/self deprecation to ease you into the thread and not make it look like some high and mighty oh look at my wild ambitions guyz thread, which it didn't come across as anyway.

EDIT: I should probably just go ahead and participate, I've come this far.

I'm lucky in that I fell into a job about 8 years ago in an emerging sector within construction that allowed me to actually do some blue sky thinking, put ideas into practice and get my teeth into leading projects using a bunch of cutting edge software (I mean cutting edge in terms of the construction industry, which is actually pretty weaksauce and generally moves and acts like a big stupid dinosaur). After many years of graft, including more than one project which was literally delivered on a trial and error basis, I've managed to get to the point where I am able to inform, rather than follow.

I suppose I'm at the halfway point for my soaring ambitions. Having got myself to this point, I am now starting to work with larger organisations, helping them implement this technology for themselves. Ulitmately I hope to work my way up to be able to advise/influence one or more of the professional bodies in the UK, ideally RIBA or the CIOB, and actually help the UK construction industry not be so fucking derp at project delivery.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I might write something about my dreams of reforming society and/or starting a religion or my plan for an all-encompassing game system.

Then again, I've been too lazy to start on anything around them for ten years, so I probably won't get 'round to it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Sounds tops Rouj (yes you sussed my intentions to a tee), like people will actually be listening to you and going with what you suggest.  I sense a similar role for myself may develop, advising on the creation and implementation of programs (I have two in the pipeline... oop back in a sec).  I seem to be coming up with stuff that seems like common sense to me but is apparently new and blue for others above me, so wahey.

Developing expertise and becoming a go-to person for that particular thing, I like it.  We are all experts on forum for e.g.

Muzzy I like the realism m8
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • I was lucky enough to fall into a job that is a complete dead end with zero prospects. Im nearing my 9th year here. Im not listened to in the slightest and in fact most people actively ignore our dept. (the point of contact of which is myself). I recently tried and failed to move positions(both internally and externally).Now Im gearing up to try again.
    Ideally I want to be my own boss but ideally at this point all I want is to move to a company where I can progress. I dont care at what anymore. Just something. But in an ideal world Id be running a photography studio/indie games studio. Not being arrogant I know if I was able to put in some time with photography I would be able to at least dramatically improve if not start getting some income from it.(moreso than the few prints I sell here and there)
    I want to be able to get to a point where some douchebag business guy comes up and starts trying to throw his weight around/try to bully through a point I can smile and tell him politely to go fcuk himself.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Aye well do it man!  I'm lucky in that I have no dependants so I can take risks, but I understand many here don't have the wiggle room.  Is there any one thing stopping you from doing it?  Gots a plan?
  • Time stops me doing it. The wife is now officially disabled from the birth of our second so I have to do all the housework,cooking and minding the kids. Last night I only sat down to eat dinner at 10pm. Up in the morning again at 7am. So I need to find time!! Though Im sure if Roy Batty heard me whine he would smack me firmly upside the head
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    He'd probably do that anyway.
  • Aye.Nice lad is Roy.
  • Time stops me doing it. The wife is now officially disabled from the birth of our second so I have to do all the housework,cooking and minding the kids. Last night I only sat down to eat dinner at 10pm. Up in the morning again at 7am. So I need to find time!! Though Im sure if Roy Batty heard me whine he would smack me firmly upside the head

I know all about this, now - my sympathies.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    At least he ate.  Can't stick it to the man and build empires on an empty stomach.
  • I will say this to all the parents, your career plans might be on hold, but you got something much better in return, even if it doesn't seem like it at 3AM when you're up to your elbows in baby poop changing a nappy.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I dream of a day when people stop posting this shite in the Games thread.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    adored wrote:
    I dream of a day when people stop posting this shite in the Games thread.

I'll have an 8th of that stuff, plox.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Is it bear jpg times already?

(good luck with whatever you do, Sket. Become a choclatier I say)
  • I dream of Jeannie.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    adored wrote:
    I dream of a day when people stop posting this shite in the Games thread.
    whooops I've shifted it also gefukt
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Is it bear jpg times already? (good luck with whatever you do, Sket. Become a choclatier I say)
    I might too.

No it is not bear.jpg tiem, srs thred is srs
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I dream of Jeannie.
    Is she the one from the love thread?  Different kind of pipe dream.
  • No, Barbara Eden. Though at 82, I've not long left if I want a crack.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Good lord, you're the same age as Barbara Eden.  Also, it'll still be there once she's passed on.
  • Someone else out there must have a dream or something they are trying to achieve with their lives!?

Don't make Skerret commit honorble Sudoku in his own thread!
  • I'm less concerned about my own future than the broad span of humanity's in the coming years.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    i will commit silverside in this veri thred

One has no need for ambition when one could only aspire to be lesser.
  • I'm making some headway in where I want to be.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Lots of headway actually.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I've been doing a lot of drawing recently, I'm mean loads. And most of them on a request basis which means I'm out my comfort zone a lot of the time. I'm also writing more as well, but not the stories side of things. It's getting me the confidence I need to really try something different.
  • I am at a bit of a crossroads at the moment.

Options are...
    Stay at my current place and train up to be an interior designer as well as a visualizer. I like this plan but it will be slow moving as it depends what work comes in. I am nearly always maxed out with visualizing work which doesn't leave a lot of time for other stuff. However the viz work I do isn't really challenging me.much anymore other than in terms of tight deadlines.

Leave and get another visualizer job somewhere where the work is a bit more in depth or there is space to develop into a senior.

Leave and go freelance. I like the idea but I lack the organization and need more contacts.

Tbh I am happy to let things play out a bit for another year. I am 29 next month, by the time I am 30 I want to be at least on my way to one of the above.

Long term I would like to start a business with a few of the people I have worked with over the years. I have been lucky enough to work with some incredible people who I consider good friends too.
  • In 10 years i hope to look back on my life having not killed myself already. That said, if i'm looking back in 10 years but i have killed myself, i guess that would prove the existence of an afterlife, which would more than make up for how shitty things are currently seeming.
‹ Previous12345678

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!