Banished (PC)

• This game looks great, and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Has anyone here got it? My only concern would be how deep that it actually goes, because it could all be a bit superficial after a few hours play.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    A mate was telling me he picked this up last night, so you've saved me remembering to see what it is. It's settlers on crack, right.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oh yeah, built by one guy- everything. Art, code, sound.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • I enjoy city builders a lot so I might check this out at some point.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Is it in beta or summant? Sorry I could just load steam and check.
  • http://steamcommunity.com/app/242920

currently around 15,000 players online, so it's proving to be quite popular!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    beano wrote:

Fuckin A. Hats off to em.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I was hoping for a good AoE type game on the new gen but it doesn't like we'll be getting one.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    beano wrote:
    Fuckin A. Hats off to em.

Mate was saying last night like, now I've seen the vids, dbl fn As like.
  • I haven't read too much about this yet, but from snippets I gather It's quite challenging? Because Tropico is easy as piss and I'd like something a bit tougher.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message

edit: right vid
  • This is hard.  Have it wrapped in a WineSkin wrapper to play on OSX and it plays like a dream.  Tutorials seemed manageable but when I dived in.... ouch.  Simple stuff in the sense that there's no objective, it's just balancing enough to keep everyone alive.... but there's so much pressure I barely knew where to start.
  • i played it a bit. settlers is a good starting point, except slightly more 'realistic'.  also not really a 'game', more of a sim, there's no aim as such, just got to keep going.  there's no combat or rivals, you just build up your settlement, and try to keep everyone alive...then you'll get hit by a tornado which destroys half your town/population, then you struggle on and try to rebuild.
    it's very well made, good at what it is, but i got out early before it consumed my life in a 'pointless' grind...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    What kind of rewards could it offer or can't it?

Replay value's simply the grind al la Animal Crossing?
  • i guess the grind is it's own reward for those that like that kind of thing....my mate has put loads of time into and loves it.  but there are no points in the game, no set objectives, there's no development so nothing really changes. so for me once i'd built my village up to the stage where i'd built one of every building type, and then it got destroyed by a tornado, and i started clearing it up and juggling my remaining villagers...i realised i had  a good few hours of game time stretching before me basically just waiting and watching for my small population to breed and for their kids to grow into workers, and then i'd be back where i was and....i could build two of each building...and then maybe three!  though a tornado would likely have struck before then.

like i say, it's good at what it is, and will tickle some people's fancy.  for me though, with limited gaming time, i realised i was spending a couple of hours watching a game on fast-forward, occasionally slowing time to 'normal' to re-allocate my spare worker from chopping down trees to chopping up the trees for firewood and back again as the resource levels required.  ultimately for me it's one of them 'games' where you suddenly realise you're working rather than having fun, and when there's no 'win state' on top of that, you're just grinding to keep bread on the table, and i'd rather my gaming time wasn't like that.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Only a matter of time before I cave I am sure.
  • Settlers on crack was my first impression indeed, definitely not a bad thing

If its a one man job, my hat goes off to him, a phenomenal achievement should that be the case, from one one-manner to another
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Caved during the sale- had a bash tonight. No idea what's going on- can't seem to balance production. Got a shit load of food though.

Good times.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    First town mightn't make it past 20 years...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    21 years- not sure what caused a decline. Streuth.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!