Season Passes and In-Game Currency
  • I'm looking at PSN online store at the moment and thought I'd check out some of the prices for DLC business in the AAAA end of town. This is what I found (Australian prices below).

Battlefield 4
    Game $99.95
    Premium $73.95

Call of Duty Ghosts
    Game: $99.95
    Season Pass: $64.95

Grand Theft Auto V
    Game: $109.95 (about $20 more than in shops!)
    In game currency ranging from $3.65 up to $21.95 (red to white shark cards)

The Last of Us
    Game $39.95 (recent discount)
    Season Pass: $29.95
    Left Behind: $21.95
    Online Pass: $14.95

General thoughts.
    1. How in the fuck can a digital version be sold for $20 more than a disc version?!
    2. How can a broken game with no quality control/testing be sold at a premium price and have premium DLC packs sold for another 75% of the cost of the game with a straight face?
    3. Would Neo Geo AES carts be economically viable in today's climate of price gouging for blockbuster games?

The difference between mobile scams (Candy Crush, Real Racing 3, Dungeon Keeper, Plants Vs Zombies 2) and console blockbuster games seems to be getting less and less with each passing release.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Australia is a prime dumping ground for this kind of gouging.  I will likely buy 2, maybe 3 new releases a year and will wait until the rest are bundled with any major DLC a year later and shuffled off for $30.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    It's worth noting that PSN games can be bought from any region and code cards are easy to get online.
    You can also play them on any account.

Last of us for example has always been £39.99 here so may be worth setting up a UK account for.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    True, I have done this very thing once or twice.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Sorry, this isn't to single psn out. I just dont have xbl access. It's more a complaint about the major publishers showing contempt on a frankly staggering scale.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The problem is that people pay these prices.
  • By comparison, $10 gets me TkX.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Best thing is still to vote with wallets and refuse to pay. Though I'm guessing kids with their parents CC on file don't give a shit.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Enough people don't give a shit that we few won't make a dent.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hm, good sentence.
  • Make it into a haiku.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Enough people don't 
    Give a shit that we few won't 
    Make a dent, so there
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Sorry, this isn't to single psn out. I just dont have xbl access. It's more a complaint about the major publishers showing contempt on a frankly staggering scale.

There's amazon/PSN as well to try and keep prices competitive.

Imo all dd content should be £10 or so cheaper than physical/retail as theres no resale value, packaging costs, etc.

• And the stock markets think Take 2 are fucked because they don't make fucking iPhone games.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That's about what Candy Crush makes in the same time period.
  • Man, people are fucking stupid.
  • Only Valve do this kind of stuff well. I presume Steam doesn't punish Australians?
  • I never used steam since I'm not a pc game player. Regional pricing exists from what I gather though.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The figures in this article are astounding http://recode.net/2014/02/18/here-comes-the-candy-crush-ipo-after-a-1-9-billion-year-king-gets-ready-to-go-public/

I've played Candy Crush and it is worryingly addictive, like a lot of these games, but I've never spent a penny on it. 

But King claim 12m people a month spend around $17

I think with this kind of mentality, and it'll be the younger ones doing it I guess, the in-game transactions are only going to grow.
  • I put a couple of quid into Candy Crush to open new levels when I got stuck on a challenge level. Don't feel bad about it as I have had easily a couple of quids worth of gameplay.

$17 a month is nuts though.
  • I've never bought anything on a free to play game.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I haven't either, but I used teh haxxors on Facebook for Candy Crush, it opens (well, did) everything up rather than having to pay to progress/wait hours for someone to help.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Only Valve do this kind of stuff well. I presume Steam doesn't punish Australians?
    You presume incorrectly.
  • I've never bought anything on a free to play game.
    I hadn't and now I'm addicted to Hearthstone. Spent 6 quid or so.

Don't begrudge that at all. A quality that wouldn't endure without people buying into the model.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    I've never bought anything on a free to play game.

I spent a tenner on warframe last weekend.
    After 94 hours of free to play i thought it only fair to give something back.
    There really were no need though and i reckon digital extremes have nailed the free to play system correctly.

Such a great game too.

• Tbf, I probably would pay if I'd found a game worth doing so on. Dungeon Keeper will never see a penny. Eventually got 800 gems,bought a third imp. The next one is 1200. It's laughable.

Everything has started to be measured in days now. It's just such a fucked up design. And yet people will be paying them.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Only Valve do this kind of stuff well. I presume Steam doesn't punish Australians?
    You presume incorrectly.

Do you know how much it costs to ship megabits of information down under? It's not cheap.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!