• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    http://www.candyswipe.com/king.html

Haven't done any more reading but eff it. King.com eh?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Wow.

Will send every fucker I know who is addicted to CCS to that page.

Burn it down.
  • Propoganda. Who really cares? Nobody. Will it make a difference?No. Will people's mothers still die? Yes. Doesn't change anything. It's sad but true.

Unless it's all a scam.
  • Hello Senna.
    yeah tbh what senna sed. Quite a few of the games have been rip offs executed better. Let's face it CCS was hardly original before this shit. Cloumns was the first match 3 of a kind I can remember and that is pretty much CCS.
  • Yeah. If I'm going to get pissed off about companies doing bad things, there're infinitely worse examples than ripping off games.
  • King/zynga/EA/popcap are all experts at fraud/plagiarism. Fuck em all I say.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It isn't the rip off that's the problem- that is inevitable when there is only so much innovation to go round - it's the fact that King are looking to screw over the guy by buying the rights to an earlier game that is nothing like Candy Swipe but has candy in the name. Fecking ludicrous.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Unfortunately, the law supports those who can afford expensive lawyers.
  • And lawyers are indeed expensive. The cunts.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Apart for the mention of his mam' (God bless her), I wouldn't take that letter seriously.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Thing is, I remember the same thing happening to some guy who invented one of the relatively popular match-3 games when popcap came and sucked all the oxygen up with bejewelled.

This is a story repeated time and time again, and whilst I feel for the guy in this article, I wonder if it's really a curse of the match 3 puzzle game.

Still, king are cunts.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The trademark and patent shit needs to stop.

I couldn't give a fuck if someone takes a game mechanic or idea and implements it- it's how individuals learn even if they're on the shovelware circuit.

Everything is derivative, from how we survive to how we entertain.

Shoulders of giants and all that.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Apart for the mention of his mam' (God bless her), I wouldn't take that letter seriously.

I may be reading it wrong, but he made the game in memory of his mum. It was released 5 months after her death. But was in development for 3 years???
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    He kept working on it.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    He spent the run up learning.
  • He says learned to code on his own after she died. So before she died, he spent over 2 and a half years preparing, learning to code not-on-his-own or some such?

By his own words, it was made in her memory. Not released in her memory, made in her memory. But the game was in the making for over 3 years. She died 5 months before release. Doesn't stack up.

Maybe it's just a badly written piece. But yeah. Fuck strong handed approaches by companies like King.
  • beano wrote:
    The trademark and patent shit needs to stop.

I couldn't give a fuck if someone takes a game mechanic or idea and implements it- it's how individuals learn even if they're on the shovelware circuit.

Everything is derivative, from how we survive to how we entertain.

Shoulders of giants and all that.

This is the crux of it. Heaven help us if someone trademarks Hello World.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I miss Tim Langdell.  Simpler times.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Vela wrote:
    Still, king are shit.

EFT. Really don't see the fuss about them. Candy Crush is their best game? It's decking rubbish and completely random. Coding is thoroughly awful at times leaving you with nothing to do. I gave up. As to them registering everything with "Candy" in the title, yes, it's dumb, but not as dumb as trying to trademark "Saga" which is hilariously laughable...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/01/23/candy-crush-saga-tries-to-crush-the-banner-saga-in-bizarre-trademark-saga/

What does candy have to do with Norse mythology? And someone has an evil sense of humour...

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2014/02/candy-crush/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!