FPS Genre - Where to now?
‹ Previous123456
  • There have been more FPS games in the last 10 years than any other genre. Especially those with the high budgets. 

Is the formula getting dry? Are fps games getting stale? 

What is on the horizon in terms of mechanics which will re-invent the fps?

New IP Vs Old IP (GoW, Halo, COD, BF)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Mirrors Edge 2 will sort it out, don't worry.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Borderlands MMO being announced would make me weep tears of joy.
  • It's hard to see single player FPS becoming any better, and it's probably fair to say it hasn't improved since the original Halo. It's certainly more of an afterthought these days. 

Multi-player gaming is arguably the defining feature of the last gen, and after the initial heady days of Halo 3 and the original COD, it hasn't really advanced at all. TF2 is nice because of the class system, with each player assuming a specific role in order to work well as a team, and it's probably this type of thing where innovation is to be found. 

If they can work out the pitfalls of VR FPS's then there's certainly hope for the future of single and multiplayer, but the outlook is pretty bleak. And what applies to FPS's applies to gaming in general. The next step is certainly virtual, and it'll be about experiences more than competitive play. At least at first....
  • FPS titles used to be my 2nd favourite type of game after the footy ones.

Even I can't be arsed with them much anymore.

Aliens, dull landscapes, dull storylines dull dull dull....
  • Half Life 3 would perk me up though oh yes indeed.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tribes: Ascend was the future of multiplayer FPS but everyone ignored it. Titanfall is left to pick up the pieces.

Destiny I suppose? Though for all the incredible concept art and the great initial reveal trailer I'm starting to get afraid that'l be shit judging by recent material.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The new gen should be one that ushers in much more Y axis movement to the FPS. That's my desire.
  • Destiny should be interesting, if only for the business model, and Titanfall should be fun, which is certainly a thing one should look for in any game, although I can't see much innovation.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I used to adore FPS'. From Wolfenstein through Doom, Shadow Warrior, Duke, Exhumed, Blood, Kingpin, Half Life...and many many more, it was the genre I adored the most.

Now, there's the odd few I adore (Crysis series, FEAR etc) but there's no wonderment to it. I find online FPS dull and stale, and I'm finding myself falling in love with older style games.

The future is the past.
  • Has this exact thread title come up before on here or one of the previous forums, or am I just getting Deja vu?
  • BioShock Infinite had the chance to do something different and crumbled under the weight of expectation.

Prey 2 sounded interesting but it got cancelled didn't it?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye it would've. It's still the main genre around, pretty much. I'd be happy with ten years of Souls like games tbh, rather than Interchangeable Shooter 6.
  • This is yer future right here -

Make sure you see the endings. :)

I went to college with this guy, I didn't have enough artistic motivation at the time to see it through (the course was also a bit shit), but he was and is a total don.
  • Doom was just this outrageous leap that seemingly came out of nowhere, and in one stroke made everything else look ten years out of date. The fact that the entire first third of the game was given as a demo for free was also ahead of it's time. 
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    FPS is by definition quite a narrow genre - you've specified how the camera works, (with implications re movement), and what the key mechanic is. It'll be interesting to see what comes along to push those boundaries though - Mirrors Edge and Titanfall have done good things on the former, but a bit less shooting for the latter might be fun.

Where's the FP uncharted? Where's the line between this and eg Fallout. Whatever happened to that 'assassinate someone at a party' game? Can we get less twitchy?

(FWIW I'm starting a puzzle FPS prototype. Unlikely to be The Next Big Thing I fear!)
  • We'll get back into the argument of which games are FPS's and which are just first person perspective. I like the first person view playing games I'm just bored of riddling everything with bullets for hours on end. For it's faults I really enjoyed mirrors edge, portal was great and the new alien game seems to be doing something interesting.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Has this exact thread title come up before on here or one of the previous forums, or am I just getting Deja vu?
    Glad I'm not the only one to think this. I'm pretty sure it appeared on the old forum or something.

Anyway, I'd actually just like to see the FPS genre left alone for a while. Many developers have grown lazy, relying on the genre to make a quick buck without any real original thought.
    But, as that scenario is unlikely (putting it mildly), I wouldn't mind seeing more RPG mechanics introduced. Look how popular Fallout and Skyrim are, not to mention the likes of Deus Ex, and I'd love to see more of that formula as it can add real depth to what is usually a pretty mindless genre.
  • Would the likes of Gone Home/Mirror Moon be included in this or we talking pure shooters/combat?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RPG mechanics have ruined quite enough games already, TYVM.
  • I thought Brink had some great ideas but it fell on it's arse.

Ultimately the vast majority of people buying FPSs (COD audience) want a digital pat on the back for killing "towel heads".

I would say the future is more of the same for the most part.
    I hope more games adopt the FPS style with a different gameplay type, Fallout, Bioshock (to an extent), Mirrors Edge, Metroid Prime and Condemned have all shown that a first person view point and a gun doesn't have to equate to K/D ratios and tea bagging.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Examples?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Chief wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Examples?

Any side-scrolling beat-em-up with a persistent levelling mechanic meaning that same-room multiplayer is ruined by either forcing player 2 to select a far less capable character than player 1 or forcing player 1 to go back to a far more basic player than they're used to and losing a lot of depth. The worst thing for me about GTAV was the skills-levelling mechanic which forced you to grind through unexciting tasks to allow a character to do things such as driving or shooting without having artificial layers of difficulty added to the controls (part of the reason I've never played GTAV online is because I can't bear to return to using a character who can't hold a gun or steering wheel steady), even Fallout 3, which could have been an excellent FPS was hobbled by its insistence on RPG mechanics which meant that the gunplay was terrible and you were forced to revert to the tedious VATS system (admittedly, that last example was an RPG before it was an FPS, but still, I hated it), any number of third person actioners with unlockable skills and abilities which I will never play through a second time because the thought of restarting from scratch with a character who can't do any of the cool things I could do at the end off the game is so unappealing.

Essentially, I agree with Knight's statement a while back that in skill-based games, which FPS's are, the only barrier to you improving should be your own skill level, not artificial restrictions that are lifted after plowing X hours into the game.
  • Where next for online MP FPSes?

Not exactly the same anyway.

On-line looks like we're going a bit MMO, this year anyway. Whether that works will have a big say on how the whole genre moves. I'm a bit wary that it's a better way to get money from the audience rather than something developers are genuinely passionate about.

God knows about campaigns. Valve can still do something interesting, everyone else seems tied to what's marketable and making sure it's easy enough for everyone to finish. Shiny modern military blandness basically.
  • even Fallout 3, which could have been an excellent FPS was hobbled by its insistence on RPG mechanics
    Fallout was an RPG with a first person viewport, bit unfair. It would have been shit as a straight up FPS.
    which FPS's are
    They don't all have to be. There is easily enough room for ones with RPG mechanics and ones without. I would agree those that are pure skill based should steer clear of ANY form of stat/equipment levelling. However those that aren't designed to be pure skill based (Fallout etc) are perfectly good, if not great games in their own right, if you don't like that style, don't buy it.
  • Fair play Yoss, but only one you mentioned was an FPS (though it was, as you pointed out yourself, an RPG first and foremost).

To clarify though, I would prefer more mechanics akin to Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which offers extra abilities rather than restricting accuracy, etc. early on.
  • Re singleplayer

Perhaps the best thing about Halo was the AI, and it really hasn't improved a whole lot since then. If anything it seems to have gone downhill, which is presumably why the singleplayer campaigns are so awful these days. I suspect they no longer care about SP to be honest.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    @Live, fair play, I was just disappointed in Fallout 3 because I did think it looked really good but I found it unplayably tedious. I know it was an RPG first and foremost, but it did give the option of straight up shooting and if they'd done a half decent job of it, I'd have really enjoyed it.

@Chief, I wasn't specifically talking about FPSes, but skill-based games in general in which I felt that RPG mechanics got in the way. I generally avoid games which feature a levelling system myself, so can't speak to too many FPS examples, but even shooters which try to offer a form of progression by staggering access to better starting load outs get on my tits (I'm looking at you, CoD).
  • I_R wrote:
    Where next for online MP FPSes? Not exactly the same anyway. .

oops, should've done a search
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Quite true.

I still can't see a reason why we need lots of different assault rifles, lots of different sniper rifles and so on. I also do believe that FPS's need to force squad slots so that on a game that involves you capturing a point you don't have you getting the flag and 5 snipers watching you do all the hard work from the edge of the map.

Also DS has it spot-on with Borderlands, if you're going to persist with multiple weapons then Borderlands is the game the others have to try and match.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    ...or Dead Rising 3.
‹ Previous123456

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!