Rust

• It's from the team at Gary's Mod, so expect it to be a little different. So far it all looks a bit Minecraft meets DayZ, which is just fine by me. Still in alpha but it's already promising.

We are in very early development. Some things work, some things don't. We haven't totally decided where the game is headed - so things will change. Things will change a lot. We might even make changes that you think are wrong. But we have a plan. It's in our interest to make the game awesome - so please trust us.

• Does anyone here actually have this? I'm torn between this and DayZ...
  • I've watched Markiplier play it and it looks like there's potential, but I've seen an awful lot of running around bland, flat environments.
  • Looks interesting, if a bit too close to Minecraft. Those visuals seem very generic FPS though.
  • Nexx wrote:
    Does anyone here actually have this? I'm torn between this and DayZ...

I bought it today and was impressed from the get go. This is perhaps more interesting for me than Day Z because although both games are quite similar, this is still pretty fresh, which leads to some interesting bonding between players.  

PC Gamer takes a peek.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • I can see why they've done it. The main danger for the player at the moment is other players, the majority of whom are positively psychotic. The zombies were a minor but constant irritant when dealing with a gang of mentally deranged teenagers. It's like Lord of the Flies meets Logan's Run in there right now.
  • Yeah, sounds like they're going to forge their own path, which in a crowded market can only be a good thing.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • So they've changed the Zombies for bear and wolf zombies, which seems a bit pointless. I presume it's the first cautious step towards an entirely zombie-free game.

It's an interesting "agreement" you enter when you purchase an alpha, if that's the word.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Someone who's playing this added me on steam- they're the other side of the pond, according to their profile. I've no idea who it is and don't really care unless they say or I can work out who it is.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I just learned about the Penis Brotherhood and I am content.

• Yep. It's a more honest religion than most.

What's your Steam name Beano?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I did a *poke* in the steam group, la.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm discovering there's a lot of cock being linked. Yay!
  • Rust experimental;

Well they've stopped working on the old version and built the new experimental from the ground up. They've promised to keep the old one up and running so you can choose between the two on boot up. It's a lot prettier yet sparse. Not as mental as the old one.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It looks utterly unplayable. Releasing something that broken can never be a good idea can it?
  • I cannot see this keeping momentum. What even. But yeah there's no point going by an experimental build anyways, as that's pretty much going to be absolute bare bones with the work going into the engine, not the art
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The Forest looks like what this wants to be, minus the multiplayer.
  • I thought they were the same thing at one point. The Forest looks like a must-visit when I have a better OR
  • It looks utterly unplayable. Releasing something that broken can never be a good idea can it?

Well it's basically back to the drawing board, at least as far as the engine is concerned. Trouble is, shitloads of people have already paid. Brave move certainly, but whether it'll turn out well is another matter.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!