The Next Gen is (Nearly) Here. Time to look to the next next gen...
‹ Previous12
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Well, Xbox One launches tomorrow, PS4 next week.

So, of course, it's time to look to the next gen, as in a week these will be this gen. 

What are people's predictions for the future? Who's going to be gone by the next gen?

I'm calling no more consoles, not in the traditional sense. We'll have devices that subscribe to services and you'll buy a controller (the unique bit) but the boxes will just be streaming devices and all the power will be in servers. The points of differentiation, like with Netflix etc now, will still be in the exclusives they offer.
  • Gay.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Answer the fucking question now or I'm walking!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Hover boards.
  • I think there will always be consoles of some kind, even if they'll just be tiny boxes.  And so that we can have an annual next gen thread.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Shittest thread ever. Everybody leave.
  • Someone make a thread just called thread and be done with it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Shittest thread ever. Everybody leave.

I'm staying.
  • I don't think we'll ever go full streaming a la OnLive - local compute power keeps getting cheaper, but broadband infrastructure isn't matching that increase by any orders of magnitude.
    Also, fuck that noise - geeks like to own their shit.

Nintendo look a bit wobbly right about now, but then they always do until they release a new money-printer.
    Sony's financials not looking great overall - but IMHO that's why they're pulling out all the stops to compete for the punter's cash and have the most attractive package for the gamer (e.g. PS+ and all that).
    Microsoft have money in the bank but business is business so they aren't gonna throw good dollars after bad - depends how much traction the media ecology they're trying to kickstart gets with the punters. 
    Apple - maybe, who knows.
    Android gamesticks - bleh.
    Valve - Steamy Gabecube one to keep an eye on for the long term, but it's gonna be years til it's worth a damn to most.

Figuring Nintendo, MS and Sony will still be around next next gen 7/8 years time. Valve steamOS might just be finding it's legs by then. PS5 and xbtwo stick with PC-like innards so might actually finally be backwards compatible -maybe, as long as the next disc format is a backwards compat BR. Digital much more popular, people happier buying console digital, but discs still around.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I think if Apple can get their act together with controllers, and I think the first MFI's should be shipping soon, then I think it could go to these guys and Android. 

iPad has sold 140million units, god knows how many iPhones. Who's gonna need a disc when you can pick and choose your games in your pocket, cheaper than the console games, and, with a decent controller just as good.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    FUCK APPLE
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Wrong thread. 

Either the Thread thread or the Apple thread. 

Now walk.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    FUCK APPLE can be reasonably said anywhere.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I think if Apple can get their act together with controllers, and I think the first MFI's should be shipping soon, then I think it could go to these guys and Android.  iPad has sold 140million units, god knows how many iPhones. Who's gonna need a disc when you can pick and choose your games in your pocket, cheaper than the console games, and, with a decent controller just as good.
    Well, yeah, good point about the cost of the games - but honestly, compare any of the FPS type games on ipad to BF4 and, I dunno, seems like they're always gonna be behind the AAA curve.
  • It's funny how Broadband seems to be at a standstill in the UK but mobile internet speeds are starting to get silly. Why are we investing so much in mobile internet when we've still got so much of the country stuck on crappy speeds for stupid prices?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • The cost of digging the trench is never coming down, the cost of the tech for mobile is.

God knows what the future will bring. We were in a different world when the HD consoles launched, hard to imagine where we'll be in another five years. Considering that the rise of the MMO and Second Life didn't do away with the £40 game, I'm not sure mobile will either. What we'll be playing on is another matter though. None of the three console makers look certain about where they are going.

In terms of tech, a reasonably hefty tablet that you can connect to your TV, a controller, a storage drive and a blu-ray if you want seems possible very soon. Getting that to work seems like a route to success.
  • One thing that is obvious is that despite the new tech at their disposal neither company has been able to take advantage and create something truly different or revolutionary. I realise that it's early for both consoles (Neither are truly out yet) but one thing Nintendo have always done at launch is release software that showcases the features of their new machines.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    It's funny how Broadband seems to be at a standstill in the UK but mobile internet speeds are starting to get silly. Why are we investing so much in mobile internet when we've still got so much of the country stuck on crappy speeds for stupid prices?

I'd say because it's an easier infrastructure project. Adding an uprated mast compared to digging fibre to everyones home is going to be way easier and cheaper.

Eventually, the next 5 to 10 years, the whole country will be covered by super fast 4G and we'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Then you have your mobile device, networked to your TV and controller. Why have the pain of a massive box (where to put it etc) when you can just carry it around with you?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hover boards.

Hover consoles.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Hover boards.
    Hover consoles.
    board consoles
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    the first MFI's

Depends if they amalgamate with Allied Carpets group.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Hover boards.
    Hover consoles.
    board consoles

Board games - they're the future. Wait and see.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    adored wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Hover boards.
    Hover consoles.
    board consoles
    Board games - they're the future. Wait and see.

Considering DICE can't sort their BF4 servers out, I doubt it.
  • I see the XBox One as phase 1 of MS's plan. It isn't really locked down yet but by the end of this gen I can see MS having a series of 'Xbox' products on the market that all talk to each other and can receive services such as SKY without the need for additional tech.
  • We all know gaming is heading towards oculus rift territory. It's really then just a question of nailing the control scheme.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Gay.

Hahaha!

Well Rouj'... 

I'd say there are at least another 50 threads in need of this. XD
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Gay.
    Hahaha! Well Rouj'...  I'd say there are at least another 50 threads in need of this. XD

I'd agree, but this ain't one!

You'll all thank me come 30th November, when the next gen looks shit and you're all looking to the future again :-)
  • I'm calling it: Microsoft Xbox O versus Sony Play5tation versus Nintendo OohWiiUSinginJustLikeBuddyHolly.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I think if Apple can get their act together with controllers, and I think the first MFI's should be shipping soon, then I think it could go to these guys and Android.  iPad has sold 140million units, god knows how many iPhones. Who's gonna need a disc when you can pick and choose your games in your pocket, cheaper than the console games, and, with a decent controller just as good.

The problem there is that there is a very good reason these games are so cheap. They can't possibly hope to compete with the Call of Duty's and the Halo's.

That's not to say that they don't have a place. But the eleventy billion who buy COD every year are not going over to an Apple version.
  • Ouya seems like a warning about controllers as well.

And yeah, was it Rubin on that bonus Round made a point about the people who make the stuff that sells millions at £40 a go will be sticking around to collect that money. The only sure fire winners from Apple/Android/Windows Phone games seem to be Apple.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!